Thursday, October 15, 2009

For months, like many Americans, I have heard all the arguing over Health Care Reform. Also like many Americans, I am lucky to be covered by medical insurance. Even though I knew there were those without coverage, I didn't think about it. In recent days, I am learning more about the thousands of people who have lost medical insurance for a variety of reasons, many related to employment loss, or denial of coverage due to a pre-existing condition.

I was reminded about how there has been a disconnect of human compassion when seeing the angry crowds shouting down others who are worried and want health care reform. I also have heard some say "Well, I have my coverage." Lucky them. Lucky me. But what about the others who sit for hours in public hospitals before being seen? What about those who put off health issues because they can't afford it. Or as I've also witnessed, can't get help for some issue because they go to a place that doesn't accept their insurance or medicaid?

No comments: