Monday, November 2, 2009

Back from vacation....


What is it about vacations that make them so short? I just returned from a four day time of peace in an area where I once lived in Tennessee. If you live in a town where the leaves never change colors, or only have three "seasons" to them, as I've mentioned before "green, brown and dead," maybe you never know the gorgeous riot of color that explodes in autumn in areas in other areas of the US.

When I was a child and adolescent, I thought of living someday in an area like Florida and/or Hawaii: sunshine, ocean breezes and seeming seasonal stability. I spent the first eighteen years of my life in areas where the seasons came and went in a predictable cycle. But then I moved to an area, never intending to stay, where the weather is usually hot and humid for a VERY long time, with no lovely sea breezes to abate the sweltering temperatures. There's a small window of transition from hot and humid to cold and humid. Notice the humidity sticks around, it just shifts in terms of temperature.

I know there is the "pain" of  living in areas where the colors all tumble off the trees and you have to rake them into infinite piles...or so it seems...until the season of winter sets in, but it seems like a small price to pay, metaphorically speaking, to view such wondrous displays of color. And like most things, you never really appreciate it or them, until they aren't part of you life. 

No comments: