Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Oy! My Aching Head!


It didn't start with the jack hammering/drilling that has been going on outside my residence in recent days, but for a few days now, I've had a persistent headache. Fortunately, this afternoon it slacked off. While it felt like it might be what some people describe as a migraine type, I'm not exactly sure how a migraine feels, because those who have described their misery have had such headaches over an extended period of time and I haven't. This headache, however, is one those few times I've had an excruciating one that has made me sensitive to light and sound (two things migraine sufferers have told me about.) My usual go-to pain relief medication for headaches didn't even stop the pain. The pain migrated to other areas of my body, so I'm guessing I can't say this was "all in my head."

1 comment:

Doc said...

I can relate to this post. I have "cluster" headaches, which are "mini?" migraines which are more prevalent in males than females. If I have one, I can be fairly certain that I will have between two and 10 more in the next week. Thankfully, I get a warning aura of light and sound sensitivity and have two medications that are reasonably effective in aborting or managing the headache if it gets past the aura point. The only parts of the brain that can feel pain are the blood vessel walls, so when they are expanded to their limits, we feel the typical throbbing of the migraine.

I sincerely sympathize with anyone who suffers from migraines and hope they find a treatment regimen that is effective for them.