Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Crystal Blue Persuasion


Look over yonder what do you see?
The sun is a-risin' most definitely
A new day is comin' people are changin'...
(Crystal Blue Persuasion--Tommy James and the Shondells, composed by Eddie Gray, Tommy James and Mike Vale)



When I heard this song as a teenager, I was an idealist caught up in the promise offered by my young dreams and the atmosphere that was going on around me in the world, some bad, but a lot of idealism. While other songs of idealism from that era resonate with me, perhaps this one came to mind because of the "blue" associated with the Democratic candidate.

Last night, as I watched the nation elect Barack Obama as the 44th president, I was happy to see the joy shared by so many people, especially in Grant Park, Chicago, the scene of a very ugly confrontation I also remember the Democratic National Convention rallies held in that very park. Maybe there IS hope for this nation, and maybe we can dare to dream of a better future with this historical event.

No comments: