Sunday, November 16, 2008

Political Doom and Gloom

I'm still amazed at the "Chicken Little" climate that seems pervasive around me following the election of Barack Obama. Someone in another blog has sarcastically referred to those who support his election as seeing the "Messiah" arrive. Sheesh. While it seems a century ago (and it was, technically, because it happened in the twentieth century) I recall how people were excited about the election of William Jefferson Clinton, elevating it to a "bridge to the future" (OK, even Clinton himself promoted that view.) While I could not vote in the election of 1960 since I was a child, I was vaguely aware that a "new era" (later dubbed many things as well as "New Frontier") I admit that this election does have significance historically, but I won't forget that President-elect Obama is a human being, prone to having failures just like any other person.

In the South, the backlash against the president-elect has been particularly vicious, which is shameful. But it's also not just limited to the South. There are racists in other parts of this nation as well.

No comments: