Sunday, September 28, 2008

Those Blue Eyes Are Closed and I'm in Mourning: Paul Newman is Dead


I heard about it Friday and I'm trying to "get over it" even though I didn't know the man personally. Yet it's still painful to think about. Paul Newman is dead. Humanitarian. Actor. Icon. Fallible. Private person. Until his health issues were leaked to the media, Newman was obviously keeping his illness private, because he never mentioned it and instead mentioned he was "retiring" because his mind was not as sharp as it once was to memorize scripts. I'm not sure why his wishes for privacy weren't respected though it probably is related to his celebrity status. I'll always remember him as "Cool Hand Luke" where his antisocial character had some very Christ-like qualities onscreen.

1 comment:

The Darker Side said...

This is a man the world will miss - and should. His philanthropic activities were as numerous as the stars in the sky. I respected him as I respected no other actor or actress.... he was nothing short of amazing!
Dragon