Sunday, September 28, 2008

Woke Up, Got Out of Bed....


Woke up, fell out of bed /Dragged a comb across my head...(Lennon/McCartney, A Day in the Life)

Can't explain why the above lines (including that whole passage written by Paul McCartney) was going through my head when I woke up this morning. But I always seem to find a snippet of music and/or lyrics going through my head. Especially in the morning. When that song was written in the 1960s, (and yes, I'm THAT old,) I couldn't have told you who really wrote the lyrics. The Beatles to me were a talented group of guys and I couldn't distinguish between who wrote what until after they split up. Now I know the back story of how John Lennon started writing the lyrics to a very dark song ("I read the news today...") and couldn't seem to finish it. Likewise, McCartney had started a song with the lyrics quoted above. Creatively frustrated, they combined the two separate lyrics they'd written into the song it was to become.

But why that song was in my head this morning, I can't explain. I suppose worse things could be there.

By the way, there's a quiz where you can find out which of The Beatles you match. My result: John Lennon. I was initially surprised, but the more I thought about it, I wasn't.

No comments: