Monday, December 1, 2008

December 1: World AIDS Awareness Day


I trained as a volunteer for an HIV/AIDS awareness organization when it first opened in the city where I lived. At the time, there were a lot of fears about AIDS: about how it was spread from person to person. People in the gay community were targeted as "the enemy" being "cursed by God" as expressed by some people both locally and nationally. Even now, in other ways, those infected with HIV are still persecuted--but now we know (at least those of us who have been educated) that HIV/AIDS can't be spread by a cough, shaking hands or a hug (which was part of the early fears.)

As a heterosexual, others in the early years of this growing epidemic often wondered why I would want to help "those people" (who were primarily members of the gay community.) I couldn't see why I WOULDN'T want to help them, and I hope the time that I worked as a volunteer did help in some small way. During those early years, people I had come to care about died within a short time frame and I grieved. Today, some I met are still living with the help of improved medications which aren't cheap and it isn't just one pill a day. Because those infected are living longer, some people are thinking that HIV/AIDS is no longer a problem. Don't be fooled.

It wasn't until heterosexuals began to be infected with HIV/AIDS through drug use or unprotected sex that the public began to show concern and educate more, to increase research for medicines and hope for a cure. Now HIV/AIDS Awareness is a worldwide goal. How far we've come, but how far we have left to go.

Here's thinking of you, Tim (my volunteer training "buddy" who was HIV+ and died many years ago.) May a cure come soon for others, when it came too late for you.

No comments: