Thursday, December 4, 2008

Espresso Yourself: Do the Truffle Shuffle!

Where I am currently living a Starbucks opened within the past few months. This is my first holiday season being aware of their "Holiday Drinks" which are available only during this time of year.

Equally new to me is espresso. I know that it is a highly caffeinated beverage, as well as a little of the history behind it. It's better in small quantities of consumption, much like the dainty demitasse cups I inherited from my mother (who inherited them from her mother) which I've never used. The delicate little cups normally are used to serve strong coffee, and I rarely drink coffee. I gave up coffee years ago as a steady beverage when I left home to attend college. Prior to that, I drank the familiar concoction of "coffee milk": one-third coffee, two-thirds milk and of course, sugar, from childhood through high school graduation.

Since I tend to drink tea at the "new" Starbucks, I decided to try one of their holiday drink offerings on a day a percentage of the purchase was donated to AIDS research. This deviation from my normal "tall" (which actually is a "regular size") hot tea order caused me to have to write down beforehand my order so that I wouldn't get confused with all the "barrista-speak" Starbucks employees learn as do regular customers who order the fancier drinks. I ordered a "short espresso truffle with two percent milk" after reading about the holiday drink on Starbuck's website. It also came highly recommended by the Starbucks staff. My verdict: Very good. It tasted a bit like hot chocolate with a mild coffee undertone (forgive the gourmet-speak, please.) I enjoyed it enough to look forward to ordering another one soon. There are two others offered by Starbucks this season, but I'll probably stick with the "truffle"--which due to the sugar rush and caffeine jolt can really give you a peppy shuffle--and that was just the "short" size!

No comments: